
This past Friday we went on a field trip to a local park.
The chrysanthemums are blooming, and they are SOvery wonderful and whimsical. I like them. :)
I was assigned to accompany 4th grade, and it was fun to have the chance to hang out with kids whose English is a little more advanced.
I was the carrier of coats, keeper of stuffed animals and muncher of many given snacks.
One part of this park that cracks me up, cracked me up last year, cracks me up this year, is the goldfish pond where you can pay to put a little playdough food on the end of your hook and 'go fishing.'
Last year I went with the first grade, and imagine if you will, the insanity of 20 first graders with fishing poles crowded around a small pool. Fish and hooks zipping this way and that.
Turns out you can actually take the fish home if you want (I don't think that's an option for 1st grade- smart teachers), and many/most of my 4th graders chose to do just that.
So there we were on the bus ride home,
I was sitting in the front seat with Jack, and behind me was Tony who had his little plastic water-filled baggie full-o-fish.
Rachel, who also was holding her fish bag, had cotton candy in her hair, so she came over to my seat so I could use a wet wipe to get it out,
when, as fate would have it, our bus driver SLAMMED on his brakes. We're talking everyone-fall-out-of-your-seats slammed.
And the fish
went flying.
Bags catapulting through the air and landing
SPLAT,
on the ground. Right by my seat.
Oh fellas. Tragic.
Not just one or two, but 10 little fish! Helplessly gasping for air inches away.
And then the driver slammed on his brakes AGAIN, and half the fish went flopflopping down the stairs.
Something needed to be done and quick.
Too bad 'quick' is not an appropriate word to use when describing Robin's willingness to handle squishy creatures.
Give me kittens, I'll pick one up in a heartbeat; puppies, no problem.
But fish. Ick.
It was taking FAR too long for me to muster up enough courage to pick them up. With my bare hands. Gross.
I know, I admit it. I give girls a bad name. I'm ashamed.
Buuut thank goodness for little boys. :)
True love, never said any different.
While fellow teacher Emmanuel rushed to save the fish that had fallen down the stairs, brave Tony gingerly picked up the little yellow buddies beside me while I (ahem, ohso bravely) held open the bag and donated some water from our water bottles.
And the bus broke out in cheers and hoisted us on their shoulders with hip hip hoorays.
(maybe the last part is not true.)
Happy to report that all the fish were saved.
And our bus ride home was FAR from dull. :)
The end.
No comments:
Post a Comment