3.30.2009

fishing boats and farms

I love the view from my bedroom window in the morning,
especially on days like today when the rain drizzles outside 
and the colors seem more intense.
I can look out my balcony over the red rooftops and criss-crossing roads of glistening pavement and watch the sea as it meets the horizon in a haze. 
Left, right and behind are mountains, and  
today old Chinese fishing boats are floating in the water. 
Soso pretty.
Makes me smile.
I can't tell you how many times I've leaned out the door in my pj's w/ my camera, trying my best to capture the loveliness for all posterity, 
but my pictures don't even come close to showing the amazing details.

In class this week we are still learning about farms...
Most of the kids who go to my school come from upper middle class/wealthy families, so most have parents who are businesspeople or professionals of some sort. 
Not a lot of farmers.
We talked last week about the difference between farm and farmer and how my grandpa was a farmer and my uncle is a farmer.
Today as I was leaning down to check his spelling, one student, Johnny, who doesn't really ever say much at all, looked up at me with big brown eyes and said so preciously out of the blue with a sweet smile on his face, 
"Ms. Cowart, Johnny is on a farm."
"You live on a farm?" I asked, 
and he nodded with a smile.
Oh, I rather love that. :)
So sweet.
A farmer in the midst, 
good to know.

1 comment:

  1. ooohh!! I love your picture!!! And I love love love your story :) "Johnny is on a farm." Being around kids really is fun. I don't have many stories like that with my pre K kids... but maybe they are just saving them till the end of the year ...

    ReplyDelete