2.20.2009

Week one is over! 
Shew. Feels like we've been back to school for about a month. 
My first graders are cute cute as usual.  

I have, however, discovered that I have a small case of sixthgradeaphobia: fear of 6th graders, particularly those who may or may not understand me when I speak English. :)
I have 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade art now, and I experienced this week how teaching the upper grades is a little different than teaching first grade.
You will be glad to know that kids in China are pretty much just like kids everywhere. They can be good, and they can be ornery.  :)
On the first day of class, one 5th grader, William, introduced himself as 'W.C.' (aka- water closet/toilet). 

I do think that art will be good this semester, though. I'm excited that we can do activities that are a little more complicated. We have some interesting projects in the mix and some cool artists to learn about. 

I'm also working with a different Chinese art teacher now- the guy who teaches the upper grades. He's really nice. He speaks a tiny bit of English, and we talked a little about where I am from in America after the last class. The art teachers at my school are REALLY talented, so I hope that I have a chance to learn from them while I am here.

Valentine's Day was great. It's celebrated commercially in this city, but I think that's kind of a new thing. Our teacher friends at the school hadn't really ever celebrated the day of looove before, so we decided to have an all-things-Valentine girl party. :) 
We made spaghetti (doesn't that seem like an appropriate v-day food? reminds me of lady and the tramp.), oh-so-tasty garlic bread, salad, strawberries&pineapples, and heart shaped cookies with chocolate frosting. We dined by candlelight with roses and sappy love songs and watched a chick flick. Hehe. 
It was a lot of fun. 
I like our Chinese co-teachers so much. 
Lovely valentines indeed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment